We had a wonderful evening last night at our very first Bible Bee Kick-Off and Fellowship.
It was held at the FEAST building and is where the local National Bible Bee will be hosting at. After the first week of materials and trying to understand the meat of what the Bible Bee is, it was a good start for learning and receiving tips for the coming weeks before the day of the Bible Bee!!
Some tips were given by a sweet young woman who has been participating in the Bible Bee for all four years...and another young man who has been to Nationals twice!
I was pleasantly surprised to see fellow church goers from my church arrive!! So we have a good portion of Leon Valley Baptist Church-Goers in the competition!! Great study buddies and more fellowships in the future I can see!!
As you can view in the pictures above, the children (who wanted to try) were able to do a mock trial of how the Oral Test will be like during the Bible Bee.
The bible student will first walk in and state their full name and what version of the Bible their verses are from.
There will be two judges: One to measure the correctness of the verses and the other to be the timer.
A student will have 10 minute to say 20/25 cards. Points are gathered in the end.
My name is Ethan S., KJV
The TIMER then says the reference, and then the student says,
2 Timothy 2: 16-17All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitablefor doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction inrighteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughlyfurnished unto all good works.2 Timothy 3:16-17
Just some of the tips they gave:
What is Bible Bee??
- It's a time for family devotions.
- To have a foundation in God's Word
- (Scriptures) A guide to everyday life
Pearls of Wisdom:
- Memorize about 25 cards. Know them. -Start off with one or two, but study them in comprehensive form. Don't just study one at a time till perfection, go through them out and throughout the summer months.
- Do your Sword Study. There's no way around it. There will be a written test where you'll have one hour to complete...it will cover your verses and the material in your Sword Study, to include cross references.
- Take time per day to review your verses, the young man recommended about an hour.
- Have someone else (your sibling, friend, Mom or Dad) quiz you for your verses. *It's one thing to do it yourself, it's another when you have someone else counting your mistakes and/or perfection. :)
There are two parts to the Competition.
- Written Test- about 200 questions, comprehensive, and multiple choice.
- Oral Test - a contest will have to say about 20 of the 25 cards to a judge in 10 mins.
Total score 600 for the written, 300 for the oral = 900 total score.
**KNOW YOUR VERSES AND SWORD STUDY!!**
Well, we are off to a great start! I pray that we shall continue as fervent as in the beginning as to the end until competition!!!