26 June 2010
I would first mention that prayer and the decision about homeschooling for your family is what both parents want. I had to wait six years before my husband agreed on homeschooling our boys.
Now, the advice I give is first prayer, then research. Go to the HSLDA website!!! Everything is listed there.... State laws, Where to start advice, Advice per grade level/ school level, information galore.
1. Pray and Research State Laws and Requirements, proceed to follow
2. Pray and Research your children's learning styles, and your homeschool philosophy
3. Create a Budget
4. Look for scopes/sequences per age group/per grade (as a guideline not contract)
5. List your goals per child, per year
6. Find other HOMESCHOOL moms!! via homeschool groups, co-ops, internet forums, church, etc-- for advice and knowledge, wisdom
7. Find your curriculum, via eBay, Amazon, rainbow resources, websites, book stores, curriculum sales/conferences, garage sales, and of course the LIBRARY!!!!
8. Pray daily, have fun and enjoy your children!
My favorite websites:
b.Living Books Curriculum
c. Ambleside Online Curriculum
d. Donna Young
e. Mother of Action
f. Simply Charlotte Mason
**My guest post on Military Duty Station: Take your school to your next base/post
A list of my favorite resources are located HERE.