Review: NUTRITION 101: CHOOSE LIFE!

26 September 2009
What does this mean; choose life? Taken from Deuteronomy 30:19; “I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.”
This verse is about choosing life, choosing God. God does not ‘force’ us to his will, but gives us the choice to obey his will. By obeying God’s word, we shall receive many blessings. Taking care of our bodies is a life and death matter. Yes, no matter the outcome—because we know that God is in control, we still have to manage our own bodies and the people we care for, our husband and children.

As a major in Healthcare Management, I know that prevention is vital to good health care. Preventing diseases’ like Diabetes, Heart Disease, Obesity, and other health issues like alcoholism, drug abuse addiction, smoking and chewing addictions and the like--what do they all have in common--they are all things that we put into our bodies; either by food or other some other type of substances.

In the Bible it states in 1 Corinthians 6:19, “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” Our bodies are temples of God. He commands us to take care of them for his Glory and Honor.

A video explaining the reason behind the construction of Nutrition 101: Choose Life! is here.

This wonderful E-book that I received is titled, “Nutrition 101: Choose Life: A Family Nutrition and Health Program” with contributing authors:

NUTRITION 101: CHOOSE LIFE!
Co-authored by homeschool mother Debra Raybern, N.D., M.H., C.N.C., I.C.A.; homeschool mother and researcher Sera Johnson, B.MU; mother and writer/editor Laura Hopkins, B.S.; and mother, grandmother and former Home Economics teacher Karen Hopkins, B.S.

This excellent text is a 448 page E-book of awesome information about Nutrition, Human Anatomy and Physiology- covering the 12 main body systems in six units. Such as:

Unit I: Brain and Nervous System
Unit II: Digestive System
Unit III: Respiratory, Olfactory, Auditory, and Visual Systems
Unit IV: Muscular and Skeletal Systems
Unit V: Cardiovascular and Immune Systems
Unit VI: The Endocrine System and Emotions

To view Sample Pages; please go here.

Excerpt from the e-book, Nutrition 101: Choose Life:

If the principles in Nutrition 101: Choose Life! are already a part of your family’s lifestyle, use it to enhance your food preparation and meal time experiences. This teaches the whys’ of eating the way you do. Rather than, “Mom said I can’t have that,” they can say, “I choose not to eat that because I know what it does to my body.”


Science, Biology, Human Anatomy & Physiology are MY favorite subjects to learn about. This is a lifelong learning process, the human body, an intelligent design that is fascinating to me! I love this text because:
1. The content it covers
2. Illustration/drawings are colorful and detailed
3. Fun facts located throughout the text
4. Healthy recipes given
5. Discussion questions, activities, and additional resource lists.

SOME OF THE EXTRAS I’VE ENJOYED TO USE:

>Activity Guide (each unit and for each chapter that a unit.)
>Health Statistics Resource Guide
>History of the U.S. Nutritional Guidelines: The Food Guide Pyramid
>Food Pyramid Food Serving Checklist
>Choose Life! Shopping List
>A Food Guide on How to select Fresh Produce (my favorite section—because I didn’t know how to choose fresh produce. NOT ANY MORE!)
>Kitchen Safety (great guidelines for parents and their children)
>Vitamin and Mineral Charts (excellent source for more advance students)
>Nutritional Daily Allowance Recommendations
>Table of Contents/Index help to easily find what you’re searching for…

Overall, Nutrition 101: Choose Life! a wonderful resource on our health in general. Although it’s an excellent source in explaining the systems of the body:
This program is not a rehash of biology or science, but a discovery of how the body systems are affected by the foods—good or bad—we eat.
Knowing the calorie content of a certain product really isn’t enough; maybe that is the significant reason as to why millions of people have life-threatening diseases that could have been easily managed IF prevention and explanation (of food vs. the body) was taught before the diagnosis was given. I feel that if I teach my children at home the reasons behind the affect (food:body) –then I am preventing some of the hazards they may face in their futures in everyday living--spiritually and physically alike.

And lastly, I truly enjoyed reading the section on Emotions. Most people do realize that their health and their way of eating is based off of their emotions. What a blessing it was to reading this section. And it simply reinforces my thinking about my relationship with God and what it means to have God fill that void most of us are trying to fill by other means…

NUTRITION 101: CHOOSE LIFE! is an excellent e-book that I have encountered on health, food, our bodies relationship with food and laid out for you in a Biblical context. I love it!


To Order please visit here.

order the CD-ROM for $79.95
order the book for $99.95
order the combo (book and CD-ROM) for $129.95
CO-OP INFORMATION IS LOCATED HERE.

NOTE: I am not paid to do the product reviews, so my review is exactly how I feel about the educational product given to me and how my family used it.


Changing the future at home

Free curriculum for homeschoolers


For more reviews on this particular product and others; please go here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!! Come back soon! Sincerely, Jessica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...