Leon Valley Baptist: Mighty Men's Conference & Dr. David Gibbs Jr.

31 January 2012

As most of you know, we have recently moved to the San Antonio area and we hit the ground running with this new church. We have been visiting Leon Valley Baptist Church in San Antonio and we have been very welcomed into the church family and with sound biblical preaching and ministries -- we are enjoying it.

This last week, my husband and two older sons (13 & 10) were able to attend the Mighty Men's Conference at Leon Valley Baptist. The Guest speaker was - Dr. David Gibbs, Jr., Christian Law Association Founder & President.

From what my husband told me about the conference, they all (everyone) enjoyed and felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit through his preaching at the conference.

I was gladly surprised that he was able to preach on Sunday morning and boy did he kick my spiritual butt!

He preached, "Getting Real With God" - 1 Cor. 10:7-10. You can listen to it by visiting here.

All I can say is WOW!

If you turn to 1 Cor. 10:7-10 and read about those four bad habits (err..sins) you'll find some areas in their lives that God does not want us as Christians to do...

He said there are FOUR THINGS we should not do as Christians. The last one is something that I am sad to say is one of my major set backs (sin) of all.

Murmuring. 1 Cor. 10:10 ~ "Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer."

This is when Paul was talking about the people of Israel who complained against Moses and Aaron and a plague resulted from that dishonor.

As I said in an earlier post...instead of grumbling about this small hotel room, I should be grateful that I have shelter, food, clothing, transportation, children, a bank account, a wonderful husband, etc. etc. (not necessary in that order either)

What both me and my husband looked at each other was when he said, "You sin all kinds of sins when you (we) complain."

Remember:

Philippians 4:11
Psalm 43:4
1 Ch 16:10
Isa 12:3
Psalm 9:2
Psalm 32:11

**And so MANY others verses I can't name them all.**

He said, "Griping is infectious to everyone one around you and ESPECIALLY to your children."


WOW!


Of course, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree--I KNEW THAT, but having someone say it out loud; it's a different experience because I know this is one area that I fail daily, if not hourly...

Get Right with God. It's your Choice. - Dr. David Gibbs Jr.


After service, my husband and I talked about it. Even during church services Dr. Gibbs had everyone look to their neighbor (my husband and vice versa) and TELL them that "I will stop complaining." Boy, that was hard and I said, "I WILL TRY." ---but that's just it...I have to STOP TRYING AND START DOING.

That's the whole point.

We told each other that we will keep each other in check (for me more than him). The kids even looked at dad and said, "You really don't complain Dad." --on the other hand...they had no comment for me. Insert knife in the heart. **Not really, but it hurt to realize that I am teaching them something I don't want for them or even for myself.

So...here's to GETTING RIGHT!

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content.-Phil 4:11
signature,jessica,blog signature,name

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!! Come back soon! Sincerely, Jessica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...